Brunswick Stew with Shredded Chicken Recipe
8 to 10 servings
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 yellow onions, diced
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (16 oz.) package frozen corn
- 1 (9 oz.) package frozen baby lima beans
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. prepared yellow mustard
- 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. Woody Creek BBQ Seasoning
- 1 Tbsp. Smoked Spanish Sweet Paprika
- 1/4 tsp. Minced Garlic
- Salt & pepper to taste*
- Hot sauce to taste (optional)
Add all Savory items to cart
Heat oil over medium heat in a large Dutch oven or similar pot. Add onions and cook for 5 min., stirring occasionally. Add chicken and stir in all remaining ingredients except hot sauce. (Season with a dash of salt & pepper here, but save majority of salt & pepper for the end.) Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 hours. Uncover and transfer chicken to a wide bowl or platter. Use two forks to shred chicken. Place shredded chicken back into stew. Taste and adjust seasoning, adding more salt & pepper to taste. Cover and cook for 10 more min. Stir in hot sauce to taste, or serve with hot sauce on the side.
Slow cooker method: Place all ingredients in a slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours. Remove chicken and use two forks to shred it. Add shredded chicken back to slow cooker for about 30 min. before serving with salt & pepper and hot sauce to taste.
Serve with sour cream and cornbread.
Adapted from Southern Living’s Ultimate Book of BBQ