We Put Grilled Cheese in a Cocktail: Making the Ultimate Bloody Mary
Tomato juice and vodka. The two fundamental staples of the delicious Bloody Mary cocktail. Of course, most drinkers don’t stop there—this highly-customizable drink has always been a little bit “extra”.
The best Bloody Mary includes seasonings and garnishes like salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, lemon juice, a few olives, and a big ol’ stalk of celery. At minimum.
But what if… we took “extra” another mile? What if we ventured into uncharted Bloody territory? We had the technology (half a bottle of vodka and some leftover cheese). All we needed was someone with the will to do so. That’s where our Test Kitchen Chef Michael (the genius behind Extreme Nachos) stepped in to create the Ultimate Bloody Mary. Now let’s get crazy.
Make The Ultimate Bloody Mary Mix
In crafting the ultimate Bloody Mary, I knew that the most important part was nailing the drink mix itself. As with any good Bloody Mary, the foundation is tomato. But we don't just leave it there, because this crowd-pleasing drink is also highly customizable. Super Quick Bloody Mary Mix is a great base recipe with tomato, spices, and Worcestershire Sauce. If you'd prefer the tang of steak sauce instead, try Mike’s Super Thick Bloody Mary Mix. And if you want a truly unique experience, try Red Thai Bloody Mary Mix.
Don't forget that spices are a great way to customize your Bloody Mary mix. Just choose your flavor and use these as add-ins (or to rim your glass if you prefer).
- Herby: Dill Weed is found in some Bloody Mary mixes but is also the key herb in pickle brine (which can also be added to your bloody)
- Salty: Celery Salt is a classic but we think Supreme Shallot Salt is another great option for a little something extra.
- Spicy: Chilean Merquen Seasoning is a combination of chiles, salt, and coriander for a touch of warmth and subtle citrus notes.
- Extra Flavor: Coastal Bay Seafood Seasoning is our take on a Maryland classic and pairs surprisingly well with tomato.
Now we're ready for the real magic...
The actual hard part was figuring out which accoutrements to garnish with. In the end I didn’t have to choose, I just said YES to everything. If I could have fit a kitchen sink in a glass, I would have. For those following along at home, this is everything you’ll need for the Ultimate Bloody Mary (quantities may vary)
- Vegetables (especially the pickled varieties): Start with celery and spicy marinated olives. Skewer some cherry tomatoes and baby corn. Add pickle spears. Heck, throw in ALL THE PICKLED THINGS: okra, asparagus, carrots, green beans, and Cilantro-Coriander Pickled Jalapeños.
- Protein: For a beachy, coastal Mary, you can add Lowcountry Pickled Shrimp. Try it on a skewer with a cherry tomato. Honestly, it would also make an awesome Michelada (Mexican Beer Cocktail) garnish too. But we'd be remiss if we didn't mention the ultimate Bloody Mary garnish...Bacon. Don't just use any bacon...make some signature sweet and Smoky Candied Bacon. Trust us, bacon will never be the same.
- Cheese: Next, slice some cheddar and pepperjack cheese into cubes—wait, hold on. I feel a moment of inspiration coming…. Ok yeah, heat up some grilled cheese sandwiches, slice off the crusts, cut into small triangles and skewer. Or make them into dunkable Grilled Cheese Soldiers.
- Extras!: This is brunch, so don't stop at bacon (or grilled cheese). Include Andouille sausages and tater tots. Then ask yourself, if I have these breakfast favorites, why not a waffle? Then stop asking questions and add a Savory Cornmeal Waffle. Now add Sausage & Peppers Pizza.
You may be asking: Why did I just stick pizza and a waffle in my Bloody Mary? To that I say, ours is not to reason why. Ours is but to do and drink. We didn’t start this adventure to create any typical Bloody Mary. We came to create the Ultimate Bloody Mary that will be remembered for generations.
Show us what you put in your Ultimate Bloody Mary! Let us know in the comments below or tag us @savoryspiceshop on Instagram