Tips for Dips: Make Yours Stand Out
1. Make the Classics a Little Less Classic
I love guacamole, salsa, and hummus, and I’ll try all versions sitting on a potluck party table. But if you want these classic dips to stand out, try some of these unexpected twists:
- Guacamole: Stir in Lavender for a sweet and peppery bite, add Ghost Pepper Salt for a spicy kick, or use Fajita Seasoning to make each bite taste like a meal. (Cheater tip: Add any of these seasonings to a plain store-bought guac.)
- Salsa: Skip the tomatoes and make a salsa base out of mango, pear & pineapple, or even cucumber. (Cheater tip: Buy the already cut up fruit from the grocery produce section to make your prep go faster.)
- Hummus: Use your favorite curry powder and coconut milk for an Asian flare, add spinach and herbs for a European twist, or make it spicy (with our new Calabrian Hot Pepper Paste made with Calabrian chiles from Italy (our Calabrian Hot Pepper Hummus is pictured above). (Cheater tip: Stir the Calabrian chiles into a plain store-bought hummus.)
2. DIY It
Skip the store-bought packets or prepared dips at the store, which are usually full of sodium, fat, sugar, and other hidden ingredients. If you have sour cream or yogurt and one of our new Spice 'n Easy dips, you can whip up your own versions of classic favorites in no time. We even have a couple of dip & dressing recipe kits to get you started.
- Red Bell Ranch: Mix up a batch of the easiest-ever ranch! It works perfectly as a dip for veggies and wings, or you can thin it out with buttermilk for a dressing.
- Seven Onion Dip: You may want to pick up two of these Spice 'n Easy packets because this stuff disappears fast. Especially when you set it next to a bag of potato chips.
- Horseradish Dill Dip & Spread: We’ve adapted the popular flavors of dill dip to create the perfect balance of herby dill and horseradish heat. Simply mix with sour cream for a chip and veggie dip or a sandwich spread that pairs perfectly with roast beef or ham.
3. Use Pureed Veggies as Your Dip Base
To really change things up, steer away from the typical creamy dips and use cooked, pureed veggies as your dip base instead. You can season the veggies just like you would any typical creamy dip. Here are some of our favorite veggie & seasoning combos:
- Harissa Carrot Dip: Sweet carrots are the perfect base for our spicy Harissa Spice Mix. Use cucumber slices or pita bread as your dip carriers. The recipe calls for a bit of Greek yogurt to cool down the harissa heat, but you can omit the yogurt for a dairy-free version.
4. Sour Cream + Seasoning = Easiest Dip Ever
Don’t panic when you forgot you were supposed to bring something to that party tonight. Just grab a tub of sour cream and consult your spice rack (or local spice shop merchant!) for flavor inspiration. Adding 1 to 2 tablespoons of just about any of our handcrafted seasonings to 1 cup of sour cream will yield a flavorful dip that you can customize for your audience or menu. Here are some of our favorite seasonings for the easiest dip ever: