Recipe: Roasted Delicata Squash with Apple & Onion Sauce
The flavor of delicata squash plays perfectly with Barnegat Bay Butcher's Rub's warm spices and the herby sauce.
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil, divided
- 4 medium red potatoes, cut into large chunks
- 2 1/2 tsp. Barnegat Bay Butchers Rub
- 2 small delicata squash, seeds scooped out and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1/2 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 apples, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp. Kosher Salt
- 1 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1 Tbsp. Herbs in Duxelles Seasoning
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh thyme, tarragon, and/or sage, more to garnish
- 1 cup fresh pomegranate seeds (or dried cherries), more to garnish
This recipe is a vegetarian version of a recipe featured in Spice Club, Savory's spice-of-the-month club. If you can't find delicata squash, use cubed butternut or acorn squash and adjust the roasting time to get fork-tender squash.
For squash: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In an oven-safe pan with a lid, heat 2 Tbsp. oil over medium-high heat and add potatoes and 1 tsp. Barnegat Bay. Cook until potatoes are golden but not tender, about 3 min. Add squash slices over top, sprinkle with remaining 1 1/2 tsp. Barnegat Bay, and drizzle 1 Tbsp. oil. Place pan in oven and roast for 20 min. Add vegetable stock to pan, cover, and roast for an additional 10 min. While squash and potatoes roast, prepare the sauce.
For sauce: In a large pan over medium heat, add oil, apples, onions, and salt. Cook, stirring often, for about 10 min. or until slices are slightly softened. Add stock and Herbs in Duxelles and cook sauce until liquid is mostly reduced, about 10 min. Turn off heat and stir in fresh herbs and pomegranate seeds. Serve sauce over squash and potatoes, garnished with extra chopped herbs and pomegranate seeds.